Monday, March 23, 2009

In memory of April

The entire Schmid/Taylor/Tidwell has had a rough past week with the sudden death of my aunt April. She has valiantly and courageously battled lung cancer since last August. Her strength, disposition and faith in God proved to be a witness to all who knew her. I was so lucky to have been able to visit her last week just a few days before the events surrounding her death took place...Mom and I visited for well over an hour when she was still in the hospital due to her skin infection from radiation to her brain. She was experiencing awful headaches and high blood pressures which were determined to be due to increased swelling in her brain. Friday afternoon she was moved to the ICU and Saturday AM to the Neuro ICU. Friday night she had a massive stroke and much bleeding in her brain. We never got her back. Saturday and Sunday were spent at the hospital visiting her and grieving as the prognosis was grim. Sunday afternoon with her family at her side, the ventilator was removed and she was able to leave her weakened, battered body behind and enter into God's Kingdom.

I still cannot believe she is really, truly gone. Her radiant, smiling, laughing personality are the images I immediately think of when I hear her name. The service was moving and my uncle Robert gave an amazing eulogy. My heart grieves for her loss, for her children (my cousins) for Robert, her parents, her sister and family, and the entire Schmid family. We lost an amazing woman and while we don't understand why God took her, I find so much comfort knowing that she is no longer in pain and is with her savior whom she loves so deeply. I have way too many memories to write, but I will cherish them all in my heart forever. I was the flowergirl in their wedding 20+ years ago and still remember that day like it was yesterday. I only wish that I can live my life just even a fraction of how April lived hers...full of energy, laughter, and most importantly an unwaivering faith. We love you April!

No comments: