Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Operation: Success

My knee surgery was this morning and it went actually pretty well! I had to check-in at 7 this morning, and Chris came with me. We met my parents in the waiting room a little after 7 and soon after they took me back for pre-op. Our good friend Grant is a cRNA at UT's day surgery and, although he wasn't able to work today due to his surgery last week, he had his good friend do my anesthesia. Chris asked me how it felt to be a VIP patient, as the anesthesiologist knew my dad, our good friend Mike (another anesthesilogist) stopped by to check on me, and they had the room schedules switched a little so Grant's friend could take care of me =). I was a little anxious about the process of the day and it was nice to know I was being well taken care of. Dr. Mathien came to chat before the surgery and I had to write "yes!" on the correct leg being operated on. I said good-bye to mom and chris, and dad a little earlier because he had a meeting to attend. Chris tried to leave without giving me a kiss...the nerve!! And, bless his heart, he kept asking me questions I didn't know the answer too---what time did I want to go home, what did I want for dinner, etc! Mom made him chicken pockets so he will survive! Typical guy...worried about food! Ha!

Dr. Mathien came out after the surgery and spoke with my parents, Laura, and Chris. He said that he found some "pot holes" on the back of my patella (knee cap) and smoothed them out and filled them in. He said this is what was causing my knee to catch and not be able to fully extend. I think he called it a speed bump! There was minimal scar tissue which was to be expected, but nothing overwhelming. So hopefully smoothing out this speed bump, per say, will allow me to get this knee back into working condition! I start PT on Monday although I'd like to get started by Friday. So I plan to call back tomorrow to see if there are any cancelations. I'm ready to get started on this rehab!! Plus, 8 weeks until the knoxville half! and, 3 weeks til we head to florida for the week! what better place to relax and rehabilitate then at the warm, sunny beach with a drink in hand!! =) I am so glad the actual surgery is over and done, and now I can concentrate on therapy. Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts, I truly appreciate them and feel loved. =)

1 comment:

Allison and Ben Brandt said...

Glad everything went well Rach, I was thinking about you. Seems like just yesterday all of us were roaming around west high with you on crutches ;)