Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Brooke's Birth Story

Monday, January 30th I saw Dr. Yang for an appointment because I was past 40 weeks and wanted to check my progression over the weekend. I was still at 4 cm but almost 5 cm and still 70% effaced. She stripped my membranes in hopes it would get labor going. Around 4:30 I started having pretty regular contractions and my back had been hurting all day with random contractions. They continued with laying on the couch, walking, standing, etc so I had the hopes that maybe my visit in the AM had helped! Contractions definitely picked up in frequency and intensity and by 7:30 they were between 5-10 mins apart and lasting 40-60 seconds. I called the doctor on call and he said to wait until I was more like 5 mins apart for an hour, so we did. We went on over to triage at parkwest at 8:30 and by the time I was checked, I was at 5-6 cm so we were admitted and settled into our room. By our next check about 10:00, I was at 8 cm and by 11:00 or so 9 cm. My water broke sometime around then too...all on its own so that was good as I did not want any interventions done unless it was needed for her safety. I then stayed at 9.5 cm for the next few hours as one part of my cervix was still stuck behind her head! When I finally got to 10 cm, we still had to get her lower down before I could push. Well, that took longer than expected because of my small frame! I ended up pushing for 3-4 hours before she was finally born! I did not have any pain meds or epidural because earlier in the night I was progressing so well I felt I could handle it and everyone thought she would be born before midnight! Boy were we all wrong! Those 3 plus hours of pushing were the hardest thing I ever had to do because they were non-stop and intense! Luckily, I was very relaxed and did my “yoga breaths” and along with my yoga music in the background and awesome couches, I did it! Kristi Houk was there for the whole thing right by my side with great suggestions and labor techniques and got to be the clinician to take care of Brooke! Could not have done it wihtout this wonderful coach and friend! Chris was also great and let me squeeze the heck out of his hands with each contraction! I'm surprised I didn't break his fingers!! Dr. Rodgers (from my group) came to round on here later that morning too and said she looked great and everything was perfect!


I had some complications Tuesday morning...chest heaviness and tachycardia and then I almost passed out twice with nurses trying to get me out of bed to go to the bathroom! It was scary and so not fun! I ended up getting an EKG, labs, and a few bags of fluid to help rehydrate my worn-out body. I guess I was severely dehydrated because the fluids did the trick...slowly but surely! I finally got up this afternoon to take a bath and finally felt like a new woman by this afternoon and my appetite is slowly coming back!


We are so in love with our sweet baby girl and I have to say she is quite the champ on breastfeeding and pooping! =)


Brooke's stats:

Time: 5:23 AM

Weight: 7 lbs, 8 oz

Length: 20 inches

Head: 13.5 cm

No comments: